Best Shave Ice on Maui – HOP to it
After a fun day on a snorkel adventure to Molokini or Lanai, nothing says “refreshing” quite like Hawaiian shave ice. What makes Hawaiian shave ice so good? For some, it’s the fresh syrups, for others it may be the add-ins, but for most people it’s the actual ice. Here are our choices for the best shave ice on Maui.
1. Ululani’s (various locations)– There’s something about the silky smooth ice and the not overly sweet syrups that always have us wishing we ordered the next size up. By offering 45+ flavors and sugar free options, there really is something for everyone. If that’s too many options for your sun-addled brain to comprehend, they offer numerous flavor combinations that are proven winners. Finally, to feel like a real local, add the mochi balls for extra texture and flavor! (Ululani’s)
2. Surfing Monkey Shave Ice (Kihei/Wailea)– They moved from a shack to a full retail outlet in early 2017 and they brought along their house-made syrups. Created with all natural ingredients and no artificial flavors or colors, it’s these syrups that truly sets Surfing Monkey apart from the others. If you need a pick-me-up, try the coffee shave ice made with 100% Kona coffee. (Surfing Monkey Shave Ice)
3. Local Boys Shave Ice (Lahaina/Kihei)– Locally sourced ingredients like Hawaiian cane sugar and Hawaiian spring water puts the “local” in Local Boys. You can order your shave ice with fresh fruit for an even more authentic Maui treat. You can find Local Boys on South Kihei Road in Kihei and on Front Street, near the Banyan Tree in Lahaina. (Local Boys Shave Ice)
4. Island Cream Company (Lahaina)– This one is for the kids. Why? Island Cream Co. will shave the ice, but they have a nifty mechanism that allows you to add your own syrup. That’s right, you pour your own syrups, choosing from one of 40 flavors… or all 40! We sat and watched kids tentatively make their flavor choices, then giggle as they kept adding more and more flavors. As a bonus, the ice cream is some of the best on the island if that’s more your style. (Island Cream Company)
5. Tobi’s Shave Ice (Paia)– Go for the shave ice, but stick around for the poke! Yep, this may be the only shave ice shop in existence where the shave ice is upstaged by the poke, but rest assured, the shave ice is really good. We recommend stopping by after a long day on the Road to Hana. (Tobi’s Shave Ice)
Now that you’ve seen our favorite places, tell us where you like to go and what you like to order in the comments below or by hitting us up on Twitter @HIOceanProject and Instagram @hawaiioceanproject.