Hawaii has become a hotbed for excellent craft breweries. Whether you prefer a hoppy IPA, a light pilsner or the smooth richness of a porter, Hawaii breweries have you covered. Here is our list of the top five locally brewed beers.
- Coconut Hiwa Porter (Maui Brewing Company)– We’re suckers for a smooth porter. This bad boy is like silk, if silk tastes a bit chocolatey, with hints of coffee and coconut. For an even deeper and intense flavor, you can order the Imperial Coconut Porter. But beware, this bad boy is a full 9% alcohol. Maui Brewing Company has wonderful tasting rooms in Lahaina and Kihei. The beer is actually brewed at their Kihei location, with offers daily tours. (Maui Brewing Company)
- Lokahi Pilsner (Kohola Brewery)– This award-winning pilsner, known for its crisp and slightly grainy taste, is another must try on Maui. It’s brewed by the fiercely independent Kohala Brewery in Lahaina. The brewery offers tours Tuesday – Saturday. (Kohola Brewery)
- Bikini Blonde (Maui Brewing Company)– We consider this to be the quintessential Hawaiian beer. Light and refreshing, it’s the perfect beer to enjoy with a meal or poolside, with your feet kicked up.
- Overhead IPA (Big Island Brewhaus)– A fruity IPA that has a nice bite, but isn’t overly bitter. You’re most likely to find this on tap on Maui, as it can be challenging to locate in grocery stores. (Big Island Brewhaus)
- Double Overhead IPA (Maui Brewing Company)– Another citrusy IPA with some bite, this is our favorite IPA produced by Maui Brewing Company, though the Big Swell IPA is also excellent.
Choosing a favorite beer, of course, is highly subjective. What are your favorite Hawaiian beers? Tell us in the comments below or hit us up on Twitter @HIOceanProject and Instagram @hawaiioceanproject